Florence or also known as “Firenze” is a beautiful but underrated city. It is the capital of the Italian region of Tuscany. The moment i set foot in this place, i immediately started calling it “MY city!” Apart from being famous for soft leather, the city of Galileo, Michaelangelo, Dante & many more artists has a friendly vibe that will capture any tourist’s heart.
Reasons to fall in love with Firenze.
1. It’s much smaller and less busier than Rome but it is definitely more enthralling! We did a guided walking tour with a local and saw pretty much of Florence on foot and i tell you, walking around Florence is easy. One doesn’t even need public transportation to get around the place. Yes there are tourists swarming around the streets but it’s not too chaotic!
2. Magnificent Renaissance architecture. This is what makes Florence stand out from the rest of the European cities i’ve visited. It is home to Michelangelo’s David and some stunning sculptures. I was also captivated by Florence’ gothic buildings and churches especially the Grand Cathedral or also known as Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore. When i first laid my eyes on it, i just stood there and look at it in disbelief. It’s so grandiose that it transmits nothing but divine magic!
3. Breathtaking skyline from Piazzale Michelangelo. To be able to see the best panoramic view of Firenze, visiting this point is an absolute must for every tourist. So that’s what i did and it did not disappoint me! From afar, one can see the big dome of Il Duomo di Firenze, the River Arno and Ponte Vecchio. The view is really as impressive as the city itself.
4. Every alleyway in Florence holds a treasure. Horse drawn carriages, vintage restaurants, quaint shops and so much more. It is definitely a wonder to behold!
5. The beauty of Arno River and Ponte Vecchio shines brightly under the Tuscan sun. Where else in the world would you even see a medieval stone bridge on this date and age?
6. The heart of Tuscany offers the best fig gelato and steak in Italy. I am a sucker for figs! I eat them fresh or dried so i was on a mission to indulge this luscious ice cream. My pursuit to try it brought me to Gelateria Perche no which offers all natural artisan gelato! Florence is also a city for omnivores like me. Apparently, steak is more well known in this city than pasta. In every corner, you will find a steak house that serves all kinds of steak dishes and this shouldn’t be missed. The flavours of Firenze is definitely as rich as its city.
This italian city is a dream. If given a chance, i would pack my bags and move to Florence in a heartbeat! So, to the city that has my heart, grazie and Arrivederci alla prossima!
Europamundo vacations: Guided walking tour, transfers & hotel